On this page you will find details of charities and campaigning groups not directly related to humanism, but which cover ethical issues that many humanists consider to be important. Oxford Humanists do not necessarily endorse the organisations listed or have an official standpoint on the issues covered. However, as humanism is an ethical philosophy, we encourage members to look at the organisations and topics covered and to make up their own minds.
Local Oxford Charities
- The Oxford Food Bank collects good quality fresh food from local supermarkets and wholesalers and delivers it for free to local registered charities, thus preventing waste and providing good food to people in need.
- Sobell House Hospice provides palliative and end-of-life care to the residents of Oxfordshire.
- Helen & Douglas House is an Oxford hospice that cares for children and young adults with life-shortening conditions and support their families.
- The Fairtrade Foundation is about better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world.
- Oxford Friends of the Earth is a group of people working together to promote a healthy and sustainable environment. We encourage people across Oxfordshire to be active in driving meaningful, positive change that makes a lasting difference to our environment
- Freedom Food is the RSPCA’s certification for humanely produced meat, poultry, fish and eggs.
- Go Cruelty Free certifies cosmetics and household cleaning products that have not been tested on animals.
Humanitarian aid and fighting poverty
- Centre for Ageing Better UK – want more people in later life to be in good health, financially secure, to have social connections and feel their lives are meaningful and purposeful.
- Medecins sans frontieres (MSF) – Medical aid where it’s needed most. Independent. Neutral. Impartial. Funded by individuals like you.
- National AIDS Trust – championing the rights of people living with HIV
- Oxfam provides emergency help to people in areas hit by conflict and natural disasters, and works to end world poverty.
- VSO organises volunteers to work in development projects overseas.
Death and dying
- Dignity in Dying campaigns for everyone to have what they consider to be a good death, including the option of an assisted death for terminally ill, mentally competent adults.
- My Death, My Decision (MDMD) (formally ‘The Society For Old Age Rational Suicide’) – is a right-to-die campaign organisation that wants to see a more compassionate approach to dying in the UK, including giving people the opportunity to have a medically assisted death if that is their considered choice
Ethical treatment of animals
- The RSPCA rescues and rehomes abandoned and abused animals and campaigns on animal welfare issues.
- Compassion in World Farming campaigns against cruelty to farm animals in rearing, transport and slaughter.
Other major campaigns
- Age UK –
- Amnesty International campaigns for human rights worldwide.
- Greenpeace defends the natural world and promotes peace by investigating, exposing and confronting environmental abuse, and championing environmentally responsible solutions.
- Liberty is a campaigning organisation with 80 years of expertise. protecting civil liberties and promoting human rights for everyone. Find out more, or join and be heard.
- Oxfam UK –
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF UK) – with the goal of “people living in harmony with nature”, work with communities, politicians and businesses to find ways to share the Earth’s resources fairly.
Making effective donations to charity
- Give as you live – raise ‘free’ funds for your chosen charity as you shop
- Givewell is an independent, non-profit organisation which analyses the effectiveness of many charities, particularly those focusing on global health.
- Giving What We Can encourages people to give more money to charity, particularly those charities which have proved to be the most cost-effective.
- Kiva – A loan rather than a donation. Lend as little as $25 to create opportunity
for people around the world.
- The Big Give -leading online match funding platform, brings charities, philanthropists and the public together to multiply their impact.